Our Goals for Talk
The goals for our Talk product are:
- To create a space where community members can easily offer insights and engage in a useful conversation, so that productive dialog can become part of the journalism.
- To create a space where community members are not unduly vulnerable to attack, so that they will want to become frequent contributors to the community.
- To create a space where community members can feel heard by each other and members of the newsroom, so that they feel recognized and part of the community.
- To create a space where community members can control how much personal information they share with the newsroom and with each other, so that they can feel confident their data is not being misused or making them vulnerable to harassment.
- To decrease the volume and visibility of hostile contributions, in order to reduce the ability of bad actors to dominate the space.
- To increase the volume and visibility of constructive contributions, because highlighting these will encourage more and better interactions, and encourage more journalists to participate in the conversation.
- To create the best possible spaces for people who don’t usually contribute to conversations around journalism (including people of color, gender non-binary people, women of all ethnicities, etc), because both readers and journalists will benefit from comment sections better representing the diversity of thought and experience among the community.
- To make it easy for people to have a fulfilling reading experience, which will encourage more people to share contributions and to participate.
- To identify and manage problems quickly and early, in order to encourage more constructive contributions to the community.
- To encourage newsrooms to customize their communities based on their needs, and to create an ongoing relationship of trust and dialog with their audiences.
- To build decentralized tools that the newsrooms own and control, so that data is never collected and sold centrally, and newsrooms can more easily integrate the tools within their existing systems.